SLIDER

Monday, May 30, 2011

Holiday Weekend + Rainy Days = Craft Time

Project #1
A coffee table tray, with the trademarked modge-podged "C." Bear in mind, the photo makes it look cooler than it is. It started as an unfinished wooden tray from Craft Warehouse. I painted it with the leftover red paint from our bedroom. Then I sanded the edges a bit to make it look somewhat antique. I traced the letter C from an old printout using specialty paper I bought at a cool paper/craft store on NW 23rd. Then I used several coats of Mod Podge to glue the sucker down. It's already on our coffee table housing a Real Simple magazine, Alex's glasses, and the DVD player remote.


Project #2
When we first moved in to the apartment, I bought this stool at the Thrift Store near Trader Joe's in NW. It was a scuffed-up white when I bought it. Along with an old table/desk we had, I painted it blue/grey and yellow.

This weekend I got inspired by the e.e. cummings poem "i carry your heart." I typed it up in the most typewriter-like font I could find in Word, tore each phrase into little pieces, and used many coats of Mod Podge to secure the stanzas in a circular pattern atop the stool that serves as my desk chair.

For posterity, here is the poem. Along with Sylvia Plath, he is one of my most favoritest poets. And in one of my most favoritest movies, "Untamed Heart," Christian Slater quotes lines from the poem to Marissa Tomei. I cry a single tear every time I watch the scene. Seriously. Despite being a grammar-Nazi, I happen to like Mr. Cumming's no-caps, sans-punctuation, bizarre syntax, and made-up words. In other words, I dig his non-conventional style:

i carry your heart with me (carry it in my heart)

i am never without it (anywhere i go you go, my dear;

and whatever is done by only me is your doing, my darling)

i fear no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet)

i want no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)

and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant

and whatever a sun will always sing it you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows

(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud

and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;

which grows higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)

and this is the wonder that’s keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)


Project #3
And my final masterpiece of the weekend, my specialty, my only true creative talent - magnets! I made these sets of geeked out speechie magnets as thank-you gifts for my RIO supervisor and two CDS professors/faculty. I'm thinking I should go into business. I see magnets like these, or the ones in bottle caps, sell for, like, $3 at novelty shops. My other idea, the real money maker, is making anatomical onesies for babies. Seriously, I think people would dig buying babies little outfits that outline their digestive, respiratory, or circulatory systems. By the way, I've got copyrights to that idea, any of you sneaky readers out there.

My next project: re-usable snack baggies. I bought some oilcloth, cute cotton fabric and Velcro to sew up. Mill End Fabrics is my kryptonite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design