SLIDER

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Google It

Tell me, what on earth did we do before the age of Google? I mean, I can remember the time before the iPhone, although I didn't have such easy search access at my fingertips 24/7. Here are just a few of the recent things I have become privy to thank to our friends at the mega-website.

The Brain That Changes Itself - a friend whose son has cerebral palsy recommended this book to me. It's about neuroplasticity, overcoming limitations, and changing the way we look at human nature. Once I make it back to the land of the largest independent bookstore (Powell's, I miss you already) I'll have to purchase myself a copy.

The location and phone numbers of Tahoe area auto repair shops - yes, yes, my poor car luck continues; the Suby overheats everytime we go up a hill. No good when you're in the mountains. Maybe our car needs a granny gear.

The definition of "arbitrary" - according to Dictionary.com, it means "subject to individual will or judgment without restriction; contingent solely upon one's discretion"

Both traditional and modern wedding anniversary gifts - looks like this year it's either cotton or china.

Tom's shoe styles and prices - too trendy and expensive for me, even if they do donate a pair of shoes for every one purchased.

The size of a 6-week fetus - no, not for me, not yet anyway. A fetus at six weeks is the size of a lentil. A lentil! How cute is that?!?

The video preview of the movie "Life as We Know It" - to watch my favorite scene, when the guy "stalls" the baby from taking her first steps by pushing her over.

A map of Western Canada - planning a summer roadtrip to the Canadian Rockies. Banff and Jasper here we come!

The number one reason men commit suicide - I thought it was because of financial or professional failures, but I couldn't find any factoids about this.

Thai tea - took me to a Wiki page about iced tea in general. Then Alex and I found a tea shop in North Portland that had the perfect loose tea for me to brew at home.

Jill Biden - to see whether or not it was her real self or an actress version of herself on an episode of Army Wives. Turns out she has her doctorate and is an English professor. She is thought to be the first Second Wife to hold a paying job during her husband's tenure as America's VP.

Inhalant abuse - I don't even know, something about huffing, I presume. And I doubt it had to do with nitrous oxide and the dentist.

Chelsea Handler - I think I might love her. Haven't read any of her books yet, but it's definitely on my to-read list. I'm particularly intrigued by her Jewish upbringing courtesy of her Mormon mother. Then again, there's her sexual escapades with "little people" and 50 Cent.

Selena Gomez - there was a biography show about her on E! yesterday, and I didn't catch the beginning so didn't really know who she is. Turns out, I still don't care about her.

Ann Packer's new book, Swim Back to Me - just reading the NY Times book review.

The movie, The Guardian - because as of yesterday I am a sailor, I was interested in watching the thriller about the Coast Guard. Netflix doesn't have it on instant play, so Ashton will just have to wait.

C.S.A. - I always see the acronym in movie credits and finally looked it up. CSA stands for the Casting Society of America. Apparently it's a professional society and they don't like to be called "casting agents."

Needless to say, I'm much, much smarter, thanks to you, Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design