SLIDER

Monday, August 29, 2011

Cotton

Dad, walking me down the aisle. Giving me, and all the high maintenance responsibility that comes with it, to another man. It's his problem now, as Al would say.





Not afraid to show emotion, Alex cries, happy tears I hope, during the ceremony.



And we danced. And we cried. And we laughed. And had a really, really, really good time.





Happy 2nd wedding anniversary, to my one true love.


It appears we are supposed to exchange cotton gifts to honor our two years together. But I hope Alex will settle for me just doing the laundry. The towels are cotton, after all. And that's all I can muster for the day. As well as for our budget.


I am so, so incredibly grateful to have met this man and fallen in love with him 5 years ago this month. I knew, when I met him that day in the Tahoe World office, that red-bearded boy from Oregon, that there was something more to him. I didn't realize it explicitly, until about one month into our working together, that he was to be the man I would one day marry. Only, at the time, I cried about it, because I wasn't even sure I liked the guy in that way. And today, I not only like the guy, but I downright love the shit out of him. I love the way he claps his hands and hollers when he gets excited. I love the smell of his t-shirt when he's worn it a day too long before a wash. I love the way I catch him looking at me in the morning when I'm waking up. I love the passion he shares for his students and his players. I love his commitment to family - both his and mine. I love how he looks when he gets dressed up. I love the feel of his skin fresh from a shave. I love hearing him play the guitar out on the porch, always learning the songs I request. I love that he talks to my belly, telling the baby to take care of its mama. I love that he does the dishes, 99.9% of the time, even after I promise to start helping in the kitchen more. I love his athletic skills, watching him ski and play soccer. I love how he gets shy right before we head out for a social event. I love that he loves flannel - a true Oregon couple we are. I even love his dry, cracked, little hands and the way he obsessively plays with his sideburns when they've grown uncomfortably long. I love his open heart, his hungry mind, and his soothing soul.


Two years ago was one of the best days of my life. In part, because I was marrying my best friend. But also because it was the most fun party of our lives. Never have I enjoyed dancing, laughing, eating, and drinking so much. Nearly every one of our friends and family members was in attendance, and we got to celebrate our love and our commitment to each other among all of our favorite people. Nothing, thus far, quite matches that feeling of being utterly surrounded by love and happiness. At least for one day.


While I'm not particularly big on dates (we are eating at Little Big Burger for our anniversary date, after all), it is today that I like to thumb through our wedding album, maybe watch some of the home videos, and reminisce about how George threw up in the bushes, how DJ Primetime Nick Shine rocked the party, how Nesta was our ring-bearer, or how our bridal party was super good looking.


Thanks, again, to all who have supported us, before, during, and after our wedding, and as we continue on this lifelong journey of marriage together. Alex is simply the best, and I am so lucky to have him. Today and every day.


Penguin - I promise to water your heart garden. xoxo - Mountain Goat

1 comment:

  1. Sigh. I adore you both. So glad you found each other. ~ame

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design