SLIDER

Monday, August 1, 2011

Telling the Peeps

With the trials, tribulations, and downright tragedies that several of my girlfriends have endured regarding their fertility and childbearing, it's an understatement to say that I am reticent to be excited and spread the news of our upcoming bundle of joy. I am still worried that the baby might not stick, so to speak, and that makes me nervous about the timing of letting our loved ones know the exciting news. That and, my dad has never exactly been thrilled at the idea of his still-dependent and financially strapped 29-year-old daughter having a child of her very own. But Alex and I agree that we tell our close friends and immediate family - the very same people we would want to support us should we be so unlucky as to experience a miscarriage.

I told my BFF, Stac, by text message. She said (or wrote, rather): "Yayyyyyyyy! I am soooooooo excited for you!"

We told Rachel and Trevor with a photo of me holding a positive pregnancy test. They beamed, gave us each a hug, and were very, truly, the most excited that others could be. Rach has already started a pile of stuff to pass along to me - a pregnancy pillow (am I a bad future-mama if I don't even know what that is?!?), pregnancy and childbirthing books, the first season of The Wire (for my summertime consumption), among other things.

We told Paul and Chris via a "What Grandmas Do Best/What Grandpas Do Best" storybook we mailed to them at Close Quarters. Upon receipt Chris called Alex and said, "Does this mean what I think it means?!?" We thought we were pretty explicit in the card we sent with the book, but I guess she just wanted ultimate clarification before getting super excited. I bet she's already knit the baby a snowsuit. Oh yeah, and Paul said, "Maybe I can get he or she on skis next winter." I think it's a bit premature, Pablo, but we are open to all sorts of adventures.

I sent Katie and Erika the very same photo magnets that we gave the Menne's. I already received a voicemail from Erika, cursing a streak like a sailor. Something to the effect of," OHMYGODJO! I'MSOFREAKINGEXCITED! ICAN'TBELIEVEYOU'REGOINGTOHAVEABABY!" Haven't heard form Katie yet, which means either she doesn't check her mail regularly, or she can't tell what the dime-sized photo is of.

We told Brian and Jen in person, since they're in town for a friends wedding. No big reaction on the part of either of them. Polite excitedness.

Last night we told my dad. We had dinner plans with him, so when he came over we gave him a book. It's the kind of book where he is supposed to answer questions about his childhood and growing up. He is supposed to fill it out and then give it to the grandchild for memory-keeping. Al was perfectly socially appropriate. He gave us a hug, told me mom would have been so excited, and said congratulations.

And then late last night we told my brother over Skype. Thank god we opted for the video-chat rather than telephone conversation because his reaction, and facial expressions, were downright priceless. First of all, the poor guy has been working a long series of 16+ hour days. He is in the peak of the summer season with the restaurant and all his functions. He's exhausted, hasn't seen his girlfriend in days, and said he's so tired and stressed he doesn't even have time to get drunk or smoke pot. That's hard working. Anyway, our announcement of, "Congrats, Uncle Brian!" fell upon silence at first. It was as though the computer froze. And then he said, "Like an uncle to you guys?" We clarified that yes indeed, we are preggo. Then he put his hand up to his eyes, tucked his chin and started crying a bit. Sweet guy, always so emotional. He, too, had to clarify that these were tears of joy - or surprise, rather - and not of disappointment. We proceeded to have a 30-minute chat in which he repeatedly told us he couldn't believe the news. I think we put him over the edge a bit, maybe to the world of Xanax ingestion. If he even has the energy to find the pills.

I still need to email the WR ladies to fill them in. Alex needs to call AJ. And we both should phone our grandmothers. Hopefully, after all this gossipy business, the baby actually pulls through and rears its newborn head next April. If not, we've got some 'splaining to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design