SLIDER

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Week 11


I always thought I wanted a Latino baby. Maybe that's a racist thing to say, but I just think they are about the world's cutest kids. Turns out, with Alex's Irish/Italian heritage, and my Western European mutt self, a Latino kid's just not in the mix. Then again, at my ultrasound today the baby did resemble something of a Mexican jumping bean. Again, racist? It was bouncing all over the screen. My doctor was trying to point out the faint little grey heartbeat, but the little bean was ping-ponging all over the place, twisting and turning, and flipping cookies in my belly.

"Wow, it's wiggly. Is it normal to move that much?" I asked my doctor.

"Yeah, it's normal for the baby to move like that," she replied.

Time passes.

"Actually, yeah, that is a wiggly little one. But that's a good thing. Dead babies don't do jumping jacks!"

I have to admit I'm a bit worried about what it will be like when I can feel the baby moving around like that. Distracting, to say the least. Or what it will be like when it's born - a baby that's always bouncing off the walls?!? Needless to say, I think I should continue to avoid caffeine and red food dye #4 in case they really do cause ADHD. Sounds like we might be a little pre-disposed to some hyperactivity.

So far, so good. Just a few more weeks and I'll feel like we made it in the clear ...

1 comment:

  1. Mine is a mover, too. I have started calling it the uterine olympics. When I got to around 25 weeks and they told me to start doing "kick counts" to make sure the baby moves at least 10 times in one hour, I never had to wait longer than 20 minutes to get to 10 movements. I feel her move constantly, and at this late stage, it makes it really hard to get comfortable because I have a really short torso. For a while we have even been able to hear her move on the heartbeat doppler, and the doctors always comment on how active she is.

    That said, I haven't enjoyed much about pregnancy itself, and feeling the baby move is by far my favorite thing about it. It reminds me that she's alive in there, and the progression-- from little twitches and flutters around 18 weeks to now being able to see with my eyes that she is shoving a foot into my skin-- is the only thing that has really made me feel like I was succeeding at pregnancy. It reminds me how much she is growing and changing in there.

    Since it sounds like you've got an active one, I hope you'll enjoy feeling the movement as much as I have. And wait until Alex can feel it! That's almost even better.

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design