SLIDER

Friday, October 21, 2011

Wild Things



"Will you keep out all the sadness?," the monsters asked Max when he first came to their forest.

"I have a sadness shield," he said boldly, "that keeps out all the sadness, and it's big enough for all of us."

Wise words from the little guy in the movie version of Where the Wild Things Are.

I envy Max's bravery right now, and I wish I had a sadness shield that was big enough to protect Brian, Katie, Dad, and me. And our friends and extended family, too.

Dad says bravery is not being without fears, but having fears and going toward them. Similarly, Ambrose Redmoon (who?!?) says, "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."

According to Merriam-Webster, courage is "mental or moral strength to venture, perservere, and withstand danger, fear or difficulty."

I think I'll take a bit of inspiration from Max's courage and creative problem-solving, and think some about what Mary Tyler Moore has to say:

"You can't be brave if you've only had wonderful things happen to you."

This experience, my friends, is far from wonderful, so is that what makes us brave? That we can endure these challenges, maintain some sense of hope, and eventually ride out the storm to rise above? I'm counting on it. Becuase I have to ...

1 comment:

  1. You are so wise Joanna - and have an incredible heart that is full of courage.

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design