SLIDER

Monday, April 16, 2012

Sleepin'

Sleep. I'm definitely getting my fair share of it.

But that's the problem.

Although I suppose the real problem is that I feel guilty about my getting enough sleep. For starters, it makes me feel like I'm not a real mom. Aren't I supposed to be totally run-down without time for a shower, let alone mascara? But second, and more important, is that I probably let my baby sleep for too-lengthy chunks of time. She's capable of one 5-hour stretch each night, if I don't set an alarm.

But really, isn't it totally counterintuitive to wake a peacefully sleeping baby?

On one hand, I refuse to wake her, simply based on it being in complete opposition to whatever maternal instinct I'm trying to develop. But on the other hand, all the professionals - in person and in books - recommend feeding a baby no less than every two hours by day and four hours at night. I sometimes trick myself into thinking I'm following these "rules" by not counting a feeding from the beginning, but from the end instead.

A whole different part of me feels proud that she's been a good sleeper, like her mama. Isn't that what some parents dream of? A child who gets a good night's sleep = a better-rested parent.

And here the Bean is, clearly a recipient of the Hartman napping gene, with her mouth agape, catching flies.

2 comments:

  1. Not that my inexperience can hold much weight on any topic, but I say let the kid sleep! If she was hungry she'd wake and let you know, right? A good friend of mine let her brand new baby sleep through the night, almost every night, and she's a happy, healthy two year old, so whatever works for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she was weighed and measured at the Dr. today and is growing just fine! And I got the official approval to let her sleep up to 5 hours in a row at night :)

      Delete

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design