SLIDER

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Baby's First Hike

To officially kick off summer, we went on our first family hike on Friday. We were not the only ones who had this bright idea. We had a leisurely morning and got a late start (I blame Francie) and were lucky to find a parking spot near the Angel's Rest trailhead - the closest of the main hikes along the Columbia River Gorge. I've made many, many footprints along these paths, so I wasn't too upset that we didn't make it to the top of the trail, where the trees open to a skree field and eventually a view of Washington and the river between the two states. Granted, the hike is only about 4 or 5 miles roundtrip, so although I wasn't upset we didn't go the whole way, I admit I was a bit embarrassed. Then again, I have never before hiked with an infant. Plus I'm fat and out of shape. Besides, Alex was the one who recommended we turn around after the Bean had a little meltdown and no longer wanted to be in her carrier.

My baby is nearly 3 months old and I haven't lost the baby weight. ANY OF IT. Seriously. As of this afternoon at the gym, I weigh only 13 lbs less than I did the day before I delivered Francie. I had high hopes I'd be one of those people whose weight just "fell off" due to breast feeding. No such luck. I have not been obsessive about exercising, but I am doing enough to keep my heart healthy - between yoga, walking, and the elliptical trainer. Needless to say, I tried on my pre-pregnancy jeans and could BARELY squeeze them over my thighs and hips, and sported my first ever muffin top. No, they don't fit. Maybe in about 20 pounds they'll fit less like a neoprene glove and more like a baseball mitt. So in order to combat this stubborn weight of mine, I joined Weight Watchers online. I completed my first week of the program - which simply requires me to track my intake and exercise - and the scale reported a two pound loss since last Monday. I don't put a whole lot of stock in a couple pounds up or down from my usual weight, but it's at least reinforcing enough to continue with the tracking for another week. Also, I paid for three months of the online services, so I best put them to good use. In the meantime, I feel very resentful of all those women who post on Facebook "I'm back in my old jeans" before their babies can even hold their own heads up. By resentful I mean jealous.

Here are some photos from our First Family Hike:

She started out in the carrier ...

But insisted on being carried.

She seemed to love looking at the trees ...

Until we stopped for lunch (hers) and decided to eat ours too. This baby girl likes to be on the move.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design