SLIDER

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Day in the Life - TGIF

*****
I saw another blogger do this, and thought it would be a great way to document my current day-to-day life. Here's my diary from last Thursday/Friday, a non-work day.
*****

Thursday, October 18th, 8:32 pm
Ate a bowl of Life. I really want dessert, but this will have to suffice. Alex is at soccer. It's my night off. It's my evening to curl up on the "day bed" with the sleeping Bean and watch some boob tube on my iPad - Parenthood wasn't on this week because if the presidential debate, so I defer to watching the 2nd episode (which shows that I already watched the pilot) of Nashville. I know, I know.





8:38 p.m.
Seriously, I want dessert. Need dessert. I'm probably just thirsty. I get up to get another bowl of cereal, but then recall how skinny I was in those wedding photos I was just looking through, so I chug water instead.

8:45 p.m.
Feeling restless. The baby is still asleep. I decide to finish painting our homemade tombstone/RIP Halloween decorations instead. I get the monitor to put in the guest room with Francie. She wakes up, looks at me, and squawks once for the Soothie. I spoon her back to sleep and resume watching Nashville. You win some you lose some.


8:55 p.m.
I think about how I want to use my day off tomorrow. My To Do List and my Want List are a mile long: finish the RIP decor, buy a new bra, return all that shit to Target, get a runner and grey paint at Home Depot, write baby Kennedy a note, finish making onesies, plan November finances, call Direct Loans, visit Dee and Harlow, print photos for frames, meal plan and grocery shop for next week, go for a jog ...

9:40ish p.m.
I fall asleep cuddling Francie, sometime before the end of the TV program.

10:20ish p.m.
Alex gets home from soccer. I wash my face and brush my teeth while he lets out the dogs (Nesta is staying with us) and makes his lunch. I crawl into bed, grateful I don't have to be anywhere in the morning, feeling guilty I'm not doing more to help Alex get ready for Friday.

10:40 p.m.
Fall asleep alone in bed. Where's the baby?

11:11 p.m.
I wake up to Francie squawking. Alex puts her on the floor beside the bed - we've set up a little futon. I move down there, nurse her on the right while side-lying, and fall asleep.




Friday, October 19th, 3:38 a.m.
Four hours of sleep in a row?!? Francie squawks to wake me. I scoot her to the other side of the "bed," and nurse her on the left side.

3:45 a.m.
I have to pee. Badly. Trade the Soothie for my nipple. I go to the bathroom and crawl back into my own real bed, Francie still asleep on the floor.

4:55 a.m.
Reach down from bed and replace Soothie.

5:16 a.m.
Again.

5:17 a.m.
Alex is up. He hands me Francie, she needs a diaper change. We crawl back into bed together (me and the baby), to nurse and cuddle. I nurse for 8 minutes, then trade the Soothie for my boob,

6:45 a.m.
Squawk. Soothie/nurse.

7:25 a.m.
Squawk. Soothie/nurse.

8:01 a.m.
Squawk and nurse, 6 minutes left, 9 minutes right. I read the news on my iPhone and smile at how much I love the months before a presidential election.

8:37 a.m.
I can't believe I'm still lounging in bed with a sleeping baby! This is the life. And when I reflect back on my "day in the life," I'm going to wonder why I thought parenting was hard if I got to watch TV, laze around in bed, and sleep a full night. Decide to start my day with Scandal - I love this show!

9:10 a.m.
I wake Francie up. I can't wait any longer to hang out with her, plus she's stirring anyway. She's happy to see me. We chat, change clothes. She poops on the changing table when she's neked. She has to work at it, and even cries a few times when the turd starts to turtlehead.



9:40 a.m.
A friend from work calls about childcare. We are planning a baby exchange/child-share. We chat about how each of the babes have colds. I start to worry about having someone new watch my Bean. Then I worry about whether or not I'm a good enough mom to take care of someone else's precious cargo.

10:00 a.m.
I put the Bean in the Beco, and get a hat and socks to keep her warm outside. I feed the dogs and wrangle them into their leashes for a walk.




10:30 a.m.
It's (finally) time for breakfast. We are out of milk, but I've already poured my cereal. So I use the random almond milk that's in our fridge. The bean is squawking. It's time for her second breakfast. I should give her oatmeal, but my boobs feel full so I'll nurse her instead.



11:00 a.m.
She fell asleep nursing. Sure, I guess I'll finish Scandal. She's gonna wake up if I remove my boob anyway.

11:35 a.m.
And she's awake again. She did give me enough time to load the car with everything that I borrowed to return to a friend this afternoon. I can't believe how much she lent me for when Francie was a newborn - a swing, a vibrating chair, the Bumbo, a maternity pillow, My Breast Friend, clothing for newborn through 3 months, a bassinet ...

12:01 p.m.
I sneak in a shower. Put diapers in the wash . Feed Francie oatmeal. Feed me sandwich. She plays on the floor in the living room while I quickly pick up the kitchen.



12:47 p.m.
I get us ready to leave for my friend, Dee's house. Francie is none too happy to sit in her carseat. I think she just wants to play.

1:01 p.m.
Apparently I'm almost out of gas. Like, beyond empty. I stop at the corner station, the one who seems to have the very most expensive prices. But I don't think I can make it to another station to fill up. It's officially winter in the Northwest.


2ish p.m.
We are enjoying ourselves at the Huff household. Harlow is as cute as can be, and it's a treat to catch up with Dee, just us two. It's been too long.



3:30ish p.m.
I'm loading my Volvo with all our new baby goodies. Dee surprises my by dressing Francie in Harlow's Halloween costume form last year. I crack up when I see my little cow - she does love her milk!




4:23 p.m.
We pack up and head for home. Gearing up to deal with Friday traffic. Alex should be on his way from West Linn by bike about now, too.

4:58 p.m.
Home again home again. Car unpacked, new round if loaner baby gear. I hang the diapers up to dry. I let the dogs out to pee. We narrowly missed driving home in the pouring rain. I worry about Alex on his bike commute. The baby is still asleep, passed right out on the car ride. I grab a granola bar and some water and read the news (yes, yes, I'm acutely aware of how frequently I use the iPad). Waiting for my hubby to come home and decide on evening plans. Don't feel like I've gotten even one thing on my list done yet. I'm going to enjoy sitting on the couch, and silence other than rain.

5:21 p.m.
Daddy's home!



6:19 p.m.
Alex is hungry, but we don't have any plans for dinner. He orders a pizza from Costco, because I have some photos to pick up. He makes me promise we won't run any errands. The Bean is still asleep. I'm tempted to wake her or she'll never go to bed tonight!

7:44 p.m.
Eating pizza from Costco. Didn't get my pictures after all, because apparently I forgot to complete picture order. Swiss cheese brain? It's time to nurse.

8:24 p.m.
Just returned from a walk with the dogs. Francie is checking out her new toy. We rented a Redbox, and fortunately Francie is distracted enough by her new toy that she doesn't bother to get distracted by the television.


9:07 p.m.
Enjoying the evening with my hubby. I guess the dogs are enjoying their Friday evening, too. We try to watch a movie, but I make it maybe 8 minutes in before deciding that I'm too tired and should head to bed with the baby. G'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design