SLIDER

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

On My Mind ...

I've got lots on my mind so far this week. Nap strikes, teething, constipation, dog re-homing, justice, sugar consumption ... But let's start at the beginning.

1) I wrote in her 11-month post that sleep was "not an issue." Hah. It seems I spoke to soon. The dynamics of sleep in this house are always changing. The Bean seems to have gone on a nap strike as of late. Although I am happy to report that this afternoon has been the second successful nap. Not only is she revolting against daytime snoozing, but she's waking up earlier in the morning. Yesterday? 6:30 a.m. Today? 5:30 a.m. That's not gonna work for the long haul for this mama. I told her she needs to decide between waking up to nurse at night, or waking up early to play. She can't have both. I was thinking that the Bean was attempting to downsize from two daily naps to one, but every day it's a different story, so she's keeping me on my toes. We've tried the attribute her sleep changes to teething or to tummy troubles - which for once is absolutely correct! That brings me to numbers 2 and 3.

2) The Bean cut her third tooth last night - the upper left central incisor. And her upper right central incisor is as swollen as Alex's knee.

3) The Bean hadn't pooped for 4+ days. Four days! She made valiant efforts to push one out, but it was a ghost poopie every time. Until yesterday. That girl cried and cried as she pushed and pushed a big, hard turd out. And then again. And then again. Needless to say, I think her GI tract is back to normal now.

4) I'm sad to report that we are looking to re-home Gizzy. I have been emailing with a retired couple whose corgi died last year, and they are interested to meet Giz. I don't particularly feel like going in to great detail about this decision, as the Hubby and I have been hashing it out verbally for days now. But the bottom line is we are not providing Giz with the attention and affection she deserves. We're not bad dog owners, per se - we walk her two to three times daily, she's up to date on vaccines and medications, she's an indoor dog and someone is home with her a majority of the time. But we pet her in haste, push her away when we're playing with the baby, and generally don't love on her like we did PB (pre-baby). I hate to be one of those families that gets rid of their dog when bigger and better things come along, or when it just doesn't fit into the convenience of day to day life, but so be it. We are them.

5) I found out yesterday that the guy who assaulted my brother back in October 2011, Scott Barto, FINALLY went to court and got nothing but probation. I don't know that I would have necessarily felt "happy" had he been sentenced to jail/prison, but it doesn't feel like justice has been served. And I'm just the victim's sister - I can't imagine how my brother must feel about it.

6) I'm on my third day since having eliminated added sugars from my diet. No soda. No coffee drinks. No candy. No ice cream. Not even diet treats. Also in the last three days? I've seen three daytime talk shows reference sugar as evil. I've been inspired to clean up my act, so to speak, because I have a daughter who will look to me as a role model. That, and I watched a lecture by pediatric endocrinologist Dr. Lustig called, Sugar: The Bitter Truth. Sugar as poison. Do I want to poison my daughter? Myself? Not even a little bit. Plus, research shows that sugar expedites the aging process. My crows-feet don't need the help of Jujubes. Here's the 90-minute YouTube video of the lecture.


And there's also a great podcast on NPR's Science Friday with Dr. Lustig from January 11 called, The Fallacies of Fat. All of this related to his newly released book, Fat Chance.

So far I'm feeling fine. No real sugar withdrawal symptoms, as I had anticipated. I mean, I'm a true addict. Candy throughout the day, at least one half-Diet-Coke-half-rootbeer soda, a coffee or chai drink of some kind, usually some bites of ice cream You get the picture. Granted I'm probably still feeling well because I haven't entirely eliminated the bad sugars from my diet, because they lurk in cereals, breads, yogurt, etc. We're taking it one step at a time, but eventually I would like our household to practice a more "plant-based" approach to eating. For now it's just about the known evils. And I don't want to get all food-issuey and restrictive about this. It's not about my weight, body image or control, it really is about good health. But it needs to stay that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design