SLIDER

Sunday, April 7, 2013

A Day in the Life - 12 Months

5:30 am
Awake to sound of the Bean fussing in her crib. Wake up slowly, but Alex, already downstairs for breakfast before his bike commute to work, beats me to pick her up. I hear her call "mama" several times so I retrieve her, bring her to bed, and we nurse and cuddle for 20 minutes.

6:15
Bfast of banana and Cheerios for the Bean, Cheerios for me.

6:45
Play in the nursery. Practice "no no" and "yes yes" - "iPod cords are no no, books are yes yes"



7:00
She reaches for me and says "nuh," meaning "milk," and indicating it's nap time. I nurse her sitting in the brown chair in the nursery, hold her until she's asleep, and place her in the crib with her wubbanub.

7:30
I'm back in bed, ready for a nap too.

8:45
Waking up so hard, especially when someone else is always doing the waking. And why do I subject myself to it again by taking a nap?!?

9:30
Man this kid keeps me so busy sometimes - getting me dressed, getting her dressed, changing her NASTY diaper (why has the consistency changed from perfect hard turds to mushy slime everywhere?!?) Finally out the door for our first walk of the day and it's beautiful out! Run into a neighborhood woman and chat grandkids for a few.



9:45
Talk to my BFF for 45 minutes to plan a trip to meet her new baby.

10:30
Snack time! You know you're at our house when you hear Cheerios crunching under foot!



11
Errand time - Costco for a return and a quick stop at Babies r Us to pick up a present. The Bean turns on the charm - practices her parade-wave, which she seems to have perfected.




Noon
Gas then home. Mind spinning. Multitasking mama. Need to eat lunch myself, put baby down for nap, get clean diapers from dryer, finish baby blanket and bib, ensure onesies are ready before Max is born, pay credit card bill, book Denver tickets, make dinner for new neighbors with new baby, and workout. It's not all that much stuff to do, but it's running through my monkey mind so I need to make a written list. The Bean is singing happily in her car seat, which is music to my ears.

12:30
After reading a couple books and playing in the nursery, the Bean reaches for me, hits me in the chest, and exclaims "nuh! nuh!" Time to nurse and nap, I suppose.

12:35
And she's out in just 5 minutes. But I relish the wiggle-free cuddles and hold her sleeping baby body a bit longer. It's not forever she'll fit curled in my lap like this.



1
Some mama time. Lunch. Email. The Talk on in the background.

1:30
Watch a short news clip about young kids using iPads and iPhones. (Guiltily) noting the irony of me writing this on my iPhone.

2
I start to roast spiced almonds, I hear the Bean make her wake-up hollers. Perfect timing - Rachel and Logan are on their way over. The kiddos play, we grown-ups chat.



3:20
Menne's leave, and it's time to think about dinner. I put the Bean in her stroller and we walk to the grocery store to get fish and ingredients for lentil chili for neighbors. I'm relishing the beauty of early spring and the blooming magnolia trees.



4:45
We keep enjoying the out doors and play on a blanket waiting for daddy to get home from work.

5
Alex home! He changes the baby and himself. I complain about how tired I feel today. He asks, "do you want me to watch the baby or cook dinner?" I say, "both" and smile. We decide on a team effort.

5:45
Pick up toys in the nursery and fold diapers, pick up the living room, organize myself a but and help Alex with the dinner I planned - salmon and asparagus on the grill, must be spring!



6
Family dinner, then daddy bathes the Bean, I clean up the kitchen, we read her new story, she asks for "nuh", nurses, cuddles, and I put her down in her crib, drowsy. She cries for less than a minute, and I'm on the couch cuddling with my hubby with the sun setting outside just before 7 pm.



7
Aaah, Jeopardy. It's been a few days since I've enjoyed both Alex's together. This is the most relaxed time me and Alex #1 have had together in several days. And I like it.

7:55
Ice cream run for the hubby. And he's got a work related phone call to make.

8:30
Together we eat ice cream from the carton, lay around on the couch bullshitting, and buy my plane tickets to Denver.



9
Shower and get ready for bed.

9:45
Dreamfeed the Bean - Alex likes to retrieve her from bed and bring her to me in the brown chair to nurse.

10
Alex is already in bed, reading some Hemingway. I climb in bed, reach for my iPad, and read news headlines and the blogs I follow. Wasn't I reading an actual book just the other day?!? Time to pick up something with pages.

10:30
Lights out

5 am
Wake-up cry. I retrieve her from the crib, try to nurse her back to sleep. Unsuccessful. Bring her back to bed to sleep. Unsuccessful. She's ready to face the day. "Da da da!" She exclaims patting Alex's sleepy face. It's almost time for him to get up anyway. "Mama mama!" She exclaims looking back at me. I admit defeat, get up, head to the nursery and together we kiss and hug her baby doll and read every board book on her shelf. Twice. I love this girl.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design