SLIDER

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Just Another Tuesday

I definitely just heard/saw an elderly white veteran singing along to Kelly Clarkson at the top of his lungs with his windows down, while parking his new cobalt blue Ford Edge in the disabled spot. I couldn't help but giggle aloud.

It's hard to believe (not!), but The Man has done it again. That's right, I'm being (temporarily?) screwed by bureaucracy. It appears that the VA failed to pay me for more than a week worked last November during my clinical fellowship. And I only discovered this because I have not received funds on either of the last two pay days since starting my new position. Hey, it's cool. I don't really need the money. I'm just working for fun. Besides, my hubby's a teacher, so we can totally support our wannabe-upper-middleclass lifestyle. Oh, what? With only his salary our mortgage payment is more than 50% of our income? What's that you say? Suze Orman recommends less than 30%?!? No, no indeed we can NOT afford to be without 1.5 incomes. But no worries, I actually got a returned phone call updating me on the glitch and the process underway to remedy it. I hope. My bet is on August.

Dinner last night was supposed to be fabulous - everything about the curried lentil recipe sounded yummy. But it was, indeed, a #pinterestfail. Cue the keyboardist playing "wa wa wa." Seriously, I added mae ploy (sweet thai sauce) and I still didn't eat much of it. I couldn't make myself bring it to work for lunch today, so PB & (corn syrupped) J it is. I got the Bean's cold (Alex said it's from letting her french kiss me) which makes it both easier and harder to eat "clean." It's easier because I'm not really tasting much right now. But it's more difficult because when I'm tired or don't feel well, I want comfort food - which is really just candy and ice cream. Surprisingly, Alex has been the cheater-eater so far, not me. I may have used some condiments that are likely "against the rules" - like mae ploy and blackberry jam, and the occasional olive oil for cooking - but have most definitely avoided the big criminals. He, on the other hand, ate two cookies at school yesterday. And then told me, "at least I didn't have any of the cake." We gotta count our successes as we see them.

Work continues to go well. The question is, what do I actually do? I'm a speech-language pathologist, yes. But really I'm a professional organizer. A life coach. A non-spousal nag. An Apple product pusher. And a scheduler. I help people make goals, and break them down into accomplishable tasks. I'm starting to build up my caseload now, which means I'm actually getting to do the work I was trained for, and not just learn all the institutional systems anymore. And the best part is, I don't really have to answer to anyone else. I just do my job while being part of a multidisciplinary team to better coordinate patient care. Sure, I have a supervisor, but her job is more to support my role on the team than it is to "oversee" my work, per say. Finally! Being an actual, bona fide SLP with a regular job (and theoretical pay) is so much cooler than being a student or fellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design