SLIDER

Monday, September 30, 2013

End of the Month

It's the end of the month. And in the spirit of my dad's 70th birthday today (shout out to BDA and the best daddy a girl could ask for), I will do the responsible thing and calculate how much we have spent in each category and plan ahead for October finances. See? I've learned a lot, Dad, thanks. Now if only money really did grow on trees.

Overall, in our relative frugality of September, we spent ... $7,088. 

What?!? Is that right?!? You must be thinking. Me too. Seriously. So here's the breakdown.

Mortgage 1453
Bills 741 (including a quarterly water bill and our shared AT&T bill)
Credit Card Debt 2000 
Credit Card Interest 13
Groceries 500
Food Out 169 (including some spent on food during Indy travel, but mostly comprised of my $3 coffee/candy/soda habit and the more-frequent-than-we-thought pizza habit)
Beer/Booze 65 (including PBR from groc and Alex's monthly GWAC)
Gas 287 (167 for Suby and 120 for Volvo)
Health 10 (my refill Rx)
Gifts/Office/Hobby/Entertainment 404 (both our dads birthdays and a wedding gift in here)
Personal 276 (Alex got a haircut, I got mine cut&colored, and there were some random toiletries purchases)
Baby 823 (daycare and diapers)
Charity 70 (Race for the Cure, and the only money we give these days)
Home 150 (early in the month Ikea runs, and then just randoms like light bulbs, etc)
Work/Professional 127 (Rach and I are working on getting our own business and we got a PO Box and a business book to help us get started)

More than 7 Gs!?! That's a shit ton. Even if I take out the two grand we put toward paying off our consumer/credit card debt, that still leaves us with more than $5,000 in monthly expenses. In a "frugal" month, no less. I didn't get new Toms that I want. I'm holding off on buying Francie rain boots for a Xmas gift. I said no to Alex paying to get the lawnmower fixed.  I said yes to an extra shift at Legacy. Not so frugal after all, eh. But, as I would tell my patients, it's less about what's been done, and more about a plan for moving forward. 

So what's the plan?

Fuck if I know.

Dad, are reading this? For your birthday, want me to FINALLY learn all that financial crap you've been unsuccessfully force-feeding your kids for the last 25 years? It's time for a financial meeting of the minds. Don't die until I figure this shit out. Seriously. 70 is old, but you're a young 70. Plus, you'll make one hell of a grumpy old man, and you're just now in your prime for that. Love ya xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design