SLIDER

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Weaning

The Bean is weaning.

Or so I thought.

Sunday night she asked for milk in a cup before bed. Surprised she asked, but I provided. When I sat in the big brown chair, wrapped her legs up in the knit blanket her great-aunt made her, and cuddled her, like we do every night before bed, she didn't ask me for any mama milk. She had some cow's milk in a plastic cup with a straw, after all. She went to sleep that night without any problems. I thought to myself, "well, I guess she's done nursing. I think I might be a little sad. But we had a good run of it."

The next morning, Alex brought her to bed with me, like we do every morning. Me still half asleep, she asked for milk, so I provided. We fell back asleep for 20 minutes nursing and cuddling like we always do. I thought, "so maybe she's just weaning at night."

That evening, before bed, I asked if she wanted cow's milk in a cup and she said yes. I didn't offer the boob. After she finished her cup of milk, while I was cuddling her in our assumed position, she tapped me on the chest and said "muh," I ignored her request, and then she nestled into my arms without further discussion.

The next morning, Alex brought her to bed and she nursed and we cuddled, per usual. I thought, "So yeah, she does still want to nurse I guess."

And then someone posted something that day on Facebook. Damn Internet. It was some sort of preview for a movie-in-the-making about breastfeeding. Hailing the benefits both physically and psychologically, for baby and mama, about easy access to formulas in hospitals, about our society's ridiculous expectation for "hooter hiders" (yes, I used one). And then I felt guilty. Am I weaning the Bean? Or is she weaning herself? If it's coming from her, that's cool. But I have no reason to steer her clear of the boob.

I don't spend a lot of time thinking about breastfeeding. Once I stopped working fulltime at the VA last fall, and I was not longer Ole Bess, a slave to the pump, nursing was simply an enjoyable experience that also provided my Baby Girl with her much-needed nutrition. Fast forward several months and she's not so much a baby girl. If I do indeed think about nursing these days, I mostly do so with an air of embarassment, as if I should be ashamed I'm still nursing my 20-month-old. A majority of people I know stopped at one year, with some extending just a few months beyond. I've essentially doubled that. I don't want to be that mom who holds on too long, even if I joke about it. But I'm also not one to necessarily follow society's expectations of me. I have yet to experience the feelings that others describe - "I just want my own body back," "I'm over it," "It's time." And clearly, the Bean still likes it. Our pediatrician told us that there aren't necessarily any health benefits to extended breastfeeding, but that there isn't anything to be worried about either. According to Dr. Sears, the leftist-natural-parenting guru:


"The most fascinating studies show that the longer and more frequently a mom nurses her baby, the smarter her child is likely to become. The brain grows more during the first two years of life than any other time, nearly tripling in size from birth to two years of age. It's clearly a crucial time for brain development, and the intellectual advantage breastfed babies enjoy is attributed to the "smart fats" unique to mom's breast milk (namely, omega-3 fatty acid, also known as DHA).

From head to toe, babies who breastfeed for extended periods of time are healthier overall. They tend to have leaner bodies with less risk of obesity. They also have improved vision, since the eye is similar to the brain in regards to nervous tissue. They have better hearing due to a lower incidence of ear infections. Their dental health is generally good, since the natural sucking action of the breastfed infant helps incoming teeth align properly. Intestinal health is also much better than those of non-breastfed babies, as breast milk is easier to digest, reducing spit-up, reflux, and constipation. A toddler's immune system functions much better since breastmilk contains an immunoglobulin (IGA) which coats the lining of the intestines, which helps prevent germs from penetrating through. Even the skin of these babies is smoother and more supple.

World opinion is on your side. The World Health Organization (WHO) officially recommends mothers breastfeed until three years of age. (Yes, you did read that right!) Even the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends mothers should breastfeed "at least until one year of age and then as long as baby and mother mutually want to."

It's better for your health. Extended breastfeeding reduces the risk of uterine, ovarian, and breast cancers. Breastfeeding women also have a lower incidence of osteoporosis later in life."


And because the Google scientist in me can't just read the perspectives that support my lifestyle, here's what the opposers have to say, in my own words:
1. It's gross.
2. If they can ask for it, then they're too old.
3. What about teeth?
4. They don't need it anymore.
5. But don't they eat food?
6. What if they might be able to remember it?

As for scientific opinion, there doesn't seem to be any.

So last night, I provided the Bean with two choices. "Do you want milk in a cup, or from mama?"
"mama."
"Do you want milk in a cup?"
"no."
"Do you want milk from mama?"
"yeah."
"Do you want milk from a cup?"
"no. mama."

She was pretty clear about her desires. She asked, so I provided. I'll start re-thinking the weaning thing next time she asks for milk in a cup instead of nursing before bed or upon wakeup. Or when she turns two, which is just as arbitrary as people who make one their milestone. But until then, I guess we'll just keep on keepin on because our twice daily nursing sessions are nothing but nice for the both of us. In hindsight, I think she just asked for milk in a cup that first night because she wanted to use one of her newer words - "up" (for cup).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design