SLIDER

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Outta Towners

I was alone. Alone! Alone? Alone?!? Alone :(

For the first time in several years.

Alex took our Bean to Bend for two nights during his Spring Break (which was a couple weeks ago now), and although I've been away from the Bean before (several nights when she was 8 months for a 30th birthday girls' trip to Monterey, CA, and one quick overnight at McMenamins Edgefield for a girls' bridal slumber party), I've never had her go away from me. When Alex first proposed the idea, my knee-jerk reaction was "hell no" (said like Gina to Mar-in). With a deep breath and bit of logic, we mutually decided a daddy-daughter roadtrip to see besties was a fabulous idea. And so they left me. I told Alex about a million and one times to "drive safely," and obsessively professed my undying love and devotion to my first-born. I even threatened divorce if anything bad were to happen to her. Needless to say, I was initially overcome with total and utter separation anxiety. I manically re-organized piles of paper, shuffling them from one side of my desk to another. And then it hit me. "I'm alone!!!" I imagined myself shouting from the rooftops. And then I got to work.

In a matter of 12 hours I transformed the guest room into a playroom, painted over the hideot yellow hallway with our home's neutral grey/white, went for the first run in several months, and watched an episode of my all-time favorite show, Parenthood. Then it was time for bed and work the next day. I relished my sans-baby morning routine, getting to sleep-in nearly an hour later than usual, and put fewer miles on the car but not stopping at daycare en route to work. However, Alex did take the Mazda, so I was stuck with his POS car. By Monday night, I was ready for them to come home. But I enjoyed an evening of alone time and laziness, and was all the more excited to see them Tuesday. I even used two hours of sick leave so I could be home when they got home. I practically devoured that little Bean; I swear she got cuter than when I had seen her last. Those cheeks!

And then as another first, at the end of Spring Break, Alex and I went on our first solo overnighter since, well, more than two years. We've been on a half-dozen Bean-free dates, but we've never been gone more than an evening. It's not really a fear thing or even a control thing. I mean, Mimi is like the second-best thing to me, and she's almost better with the Bean than I am. She'll certainly make sure she's been fed and bathed. Most of our resistance to "dates" is the fact that we LIKE hanging out as a family of three. Alex and I are BFF homebodies and are fortunate that we get to spend a lot of time together on a daily/weekly basis. Also, we weren't the kind of people to stay in hotels or go on fancy dates pre-baby, so we never really understood the big push from others for "dates" post-baby. We like our lazy couch time just fine, thankyouverymuch. But seriously, my hubby wants to get laid, and that's about ten times more likely to happen when there's no toddler and no TV. I mean, what else is there to do?!? Plus, both our birthdays are in April and with the in-laws in town, it was a perfect chance for an early celebration. We called a few hotels to make last minute reservations, and ironically the only free place on our list was the McMenamins Grand Lodge. Admittedly, I was resistant to leave - "what's even the point?," I might have mumbled a few dozen times - but ended up having a great relaxing time with just my husband. We dipped in the soaking tub, we drank, we dined, and we caught a free bluegrass show. My social inclinations have now been satiated for the next year.


My Bean and my babe. In Bend.


The guest room turned play room.

Awesome quilt, right? Thanks, Dee.

Grown-up overnighter.

And when I got home again, I might have done some of this. #selfieswithasleepingbean


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design