SLIDER

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

(Working Women) - Jen, a Businesswoman from Detroit

Full disclosure - Jen is actually family, not just a friend. My sister-in-law, to be precise. Not that it matters in this context, but that's why the only photo with her in it actually has me in it, too. I met Jen back when Alex and I first started dating, in Tahoe, the summer of 2006. She had already been dating Alex's younger brother, Brian, for a few years. They had met in college at Carnegie Mellon (smartypantses), and were living back in Michigan, visiting Tahoe for the annual Close Family 4th of July BBQ.

The first thing I learned about Jen was really more about Michigan, generally, and Detroit specifically. This girl has an unabashed love for her state, her family, her home - her roots - like no one I've ever known. The next thing I learned was that Jen is a dedicated professional, someone whose job is also her hobby is also her job is also her hobby, etc. She's passionate about her company, her employees, and her job in general. She's basically a badass when it comes to work. And her third most defining characteristic is her loyalty. She's a very devoted family member, friend, and manager; this is someone you want on your team.

In some ways, Jen and I couldn't be more different. She wore a Detroit beanie out in the cold of one New Year's Eve in Tahoe, while I wondered if my hair looked blonde or I was dressed slutty enough. She introduced me to Siri and I barely even knew what an iPhone was. She loves real food, and I'm like "I don't care as long as it's sweet or salty and probably not good for me." She can drink multiple Wet Woodies, while I can barely finish one. She likes to work hard and play hard, and I'm more of a lazy barnacle. She maintains dozens of friends and family relations cross-country, and I hate to pick up the phone even when my brother calls. She works while on Christmas vacation without a single complaint, and I'm all, "Ugh, I can't believe it's almost time to go back to my part-time job." We might never have crossed paths, let alone become friends, if we hadn't fallen in love with these soccer-playing, family-loving, handsome Close boys. In other words, I'm sure glad we've become family.

Other things about Jen? She likes to take pictures (not be in them), and she takes them well (check out her gorgeous Americana style here). She loves travel. She's a foodie. She likes to drink. She knows everything there is to know about anything that I might consider technological - need a new app to manage your iPhone battery life? She's your gal. She loves her cats, and she even converted her formerly-dog-loving husband into a Cat Lady as well. She's smart and well-read and knowledgeable about all things science, technology and business - she's a perfect role model for those young girls interested in STEM careers - maybe someday she'll have her photo on this website. And now let's let her talk for herself ...





Bio info - who are you, how old are you, where are you from, where do you live, what's your living/family situation, what are your hobbies, etc. Essentially, what's your story?
I'm 31 years old. I was born and raised a Michigander, left for a brief time to live in Pittsburgh, then headed back to Michigan for a job with Ford Motor Company.

 
I live with my husband and our cats. Which makes me sound like a cat lady - I am not.
 
 

 
Besides work, I spend time taking photos and trying to improve my photography. I also enjoy watching movies and tv, shooting clay pigeons, and golfing when I can.



 
 
What is your current job/profession? What path did you take to get there? Any required schooling or training?
I currently have a few different responsibilities - I am the President of an IT Deployment company that installs technology nationwide, I oversee a collections company, and I sit on the Board of Directors for a railroad.

I have long been an "IT Person." Growing up I worked for various companies doing tech support type work and then eventually started my own business in college. When I went to work at Ford I also started in IT, though ended my career there working in Corporate Economics for the Chief Economist, a job that eventually changed the entire outlook of my career. It was at that point I realized that I didn't want to go back to IT as being the core of what I did. I found that I enjoyed the business end of things a lot more.

Ford has a rotational program for new hires from college, which meant I was heading back to IT after my job in Economics. Not something I was that excited about. About that time, my grandmother passed away, and my Dad told me that it was time for me to make a decision about what I was doing with my career - stay at Ford or come work with him in his companies.

I made the very hard decision to leave Ford. I started at the new company managing the IT Department. From there I worked throughout the company to build efficiencies and profits. Through this work I was able to build a lot of trust in the people I was working with, and through a pretty natural progression, I advanced in the company to the position I am today. It's now been nearly eight years since I made the decision to leave Ford, and I am very glad I did.

I think what has helped me most in these positions was the experiences I had prior. The people I met, watching great managers and mediocre ones, and trying to take the best of the best to be a good leader.

There is a lot I learned in my undergraduate and primary schooling that has helped me as well - especially the software side; hardware knowledge was acquired through experience.

 
What are the pros and cons of your current position?
Pros: Meeting and working with great people. Continued opportunities to always learn more. Ability to work from anywhere (example: home).

Cons: Sometimes the weight of knowing you need to be successful not only for yourself but also for all of the people who are working for you, as well as their families, is a lot to take. Basically, if I fail, I'm not just failing myself. Also, the ability to work from anywhere (example: vacation).


Walk us through a typical day, week, or month ...

I don't get the honor of "typical" much anymore. Most months I travel at least once and usually 3-4 times. That can be for anywhere from 1-4 days. When I am in the office I catch up on meetings mostly (whether I like it or not). I have 1:1 meetings with all of my employees monthly to give them regular feedback and check on open items; these often have to be squeezed into when I am in town.


What is something about your job that other people might not know or expect?
 
I laugh a ton at work.


What other jobs could you work with your education/training/experience?
Software Engineering, Telecom Technician, Sales Manager, Director of IT. I guess the point is that with ambition, some good experience and motivation, you can do anything you set your mind to.


How much do you make? (Too forward?!? Probably. But let's be real, a large part of the reason we work is to make money - give us some deets about your income, as much as you feel comfortable sharing, whether specific to your personal salary, or generally speaking, as in, What Would Google Say).
Well, I would say I make enough to enjoy frills in life but not nearly what a lot of other people in my position would most likely make. Money is great, but I work for the fun of it, the people I am working with, and because I enjoy success.


Do you anticipate making any career changes in the next 5 to 10 years?
No. I am very focused on building my company.

If you could have any other job in the world, what would it be?
National Geographic Photographer.


If someone else was interested in your job, what piece of advice would you give them?
Don't give up.

 
How do you balance work life and home life?
I have an extremely understanding husband who also puts a lot of time into his job. I also have the ability to work at home when I need to, which means I don't have to go into the office on weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design