SLIDER

Monday, July 21, 2014

(Stuff Jo Made) - Birthday Crown



A few months ago another one of my friends' kiddos turned one. I stole this idea from someone who made a similar one for The Bean for her 1st birthday (thanks, Mari).

Supplies:
- Felt pieces that are slightly larger than the 8.5x11 that you can buy at the craft store. I got mine at the fabric store, cut by the yard
- Scrap felt pieces in colors you think the birthday kiddo might enjoy
- non-roll elastic, ~4 inches
- embroidery thread and a needle (if you like to craft while binge-watching TV); or a sewing maching if you're more efficient
- crown template, like the one I used here (if that link doesn't work, try this one); but there's also this one, or this one; or make up your own, which I did in the past

Instructions:
- use a template to cut out two version of the crown (the front and the back)
- cut out some colorful shapes, or letters, or gather some buttons or bling of sorts
- using embroidery thread and a needle (or, again, a sewing machine), sew your bling to the "front" crown piece; I like the homemade look, so I'm not too neurotic about making the stitches perfectly spaced
- measure the kid's head, or, like me, assume that because most 1-year-olds have a 17-19 inch head circumference, 18 inches will suffice just fine
- the length of the template or felt crown you've already cut will determine how much elastic you will need, for the circumference of the crown to equal about 19ish inches
- using embroidery thread and needle, sew the short side of the elastic to each end of the crown
- using embroidery thread and needles, sew on the "back" pice of crown felt, so that your stitches from the bling don't show from behind
- voila, you have a janky-but-adorable homemade birthday crown for your favorite little girl or boy



I didn't get a picture of the birthday boy, Boone, wearing his and his cousin Jax's matching crowns, but I did get a photo of my fat little daughter stealing the birthday boy's first cake. Notice there aren't any other little kids sticking their chubby fingers in the frosting?!? That's my girl.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design