SLIDER

Monday, August 11, 2014

Déjà Vu All Over Again

Remember when I posted this?!? I admit I have a little bit of an affinity for fortune cookie fortunes, more so than any kind of astrological or palm reading. I take the liberty to interpret the fortune in whichever way I please. Just like back in 2011, when hindsight bias tells me that the "short stranger" fortune correctly predicted both the inclusion of Gizzy in our life, and/or my pregnancy with a little Bean.

Tonight Francie and I had a dinner date, with Alex out of town on a GWAC camping trip (teachers drinking fancy-ish whisky in the woods). The Chinese ladies at the restaurant fawned all over the Bean, telling me how smart and cute and polite she is. I agreed. Despite the fact that she continued to pour real tea from the pot into her cup, and then into mine, spilling at least half of it at every point of transition. The ladies just fawned and giggled and kept bringing her more napkins to wipe up the mess. And when the Bean got her first fortune cookie (the ladies showered her with a few extras), this was her fortune: "Soon someone new coming into your life will be a best friend." Am I crazy to hope this means that we are going to learn we are pregnant soon?!? And that our two kiddos will indeed grow up to be besties?!?

With excitement at the possibility, and the unpredictability of my current cycle, I opted to take a pregnancy test. Francie and I were still on our girls' date night, and we were going to take a shower together before settling in to read books and go through the bedtime routine. I decided to include her in the pregnancy testing process, too, as she seems more excited at the prospect of growing a new baby in my tummy than I am. With Francie staring at me repeating "what doing mama, what doing mama?" I peed in a cup (one of Alex's coffee mugs, actually). As instructed, I dipped the stick for three seconds, letting it sit flat for the next five minutes. Francie was so excited, "let see! let see!," although I wasn't exactly sure she had any idea what she was so excited about.

The test came up negative, which did not surprise me, and I told her, "I guess I'm not pregnant yet."

She seemed genuinely disappointed, pleading, "grow baby, grow baby, please grow baby brofer!"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design