SLIDER

Sunday, September 14, 2014

B&Z Love ... My Brother Said 'I Do'

Brian and Zahavah atop "Painted Rock" with their names and wedding date on Block Island, RI.

My brother, Brian, six years my elder, was married in a beach ceremony to his beautiful blushing bride, Zahavah Williams, on Block Island, RI on 9/7/14. It was perfection.

I'm sure it's not a popular thing for me to think, but I can't say I saw this coming. Apparently, everyone else did, which was fun to hear about. I can say, with certainty, that I am so very, very happy for him. For them both. 

One of the fun things about staying the week before the wedding with the Williams Family was getting to know them, but also, getting to learn their impressions of my brother, his and Zahavah's relationship, and musings on their future together. Multiple times one person or another said to me, "I just knew he was The One." I heard one story about Zahavah misinforming her parents about an overnight fishing trip when in reality she was visiting Bri on BI, where they had recently met last summer. Her mom told me about how she knew Zahavah was going to marry Brian when they first started dating, just by interpreting Zahavahs' body language. I hadn't heard some of these anecdotes before, at least, not from the other half's point of view. Sure, my brother told me he was going to marry this girl. But I took that with a grain, as I'd grown (unfairly) accustomed to. I admit to having become relatively cynical about my brother's love life, always hoping for him that each girlfriend was The One, and having always been wrong. But I should have known this time was different. Had I been paying as close of attention as her family had been, I would have known. I missed all my cues.

So when he proposed to Zahavah this winter, in a that's-so-Brian elaborately romantic way (he snowshoed "Will You Marry Me, Zahavah?" in the snow in Telluride, Colorado, rented a plane, and proposed in the air), I was more than a bit wary that they were taking this leap less than one year into their relationship. The hadn't even experienced Spring together, I thought.

But now, fast forward to post-BI vacation with the families, post-nuptials, and with nothing but love in my heart for them - I can see they are totally right for each other. And I'm so happy that he's seemed to have found exactly what he was looking for, even if he didn't know he was looking at all.

Zahavah's sister, Becky, gave a great speech at the reception. One of the things that resonated with me was a story she told about Zahavah having been ill in Telluride for a couple weeks, and how Becky could hardly believe that Zahavah hadn't called her to sing the sad song of the sick - how great Brian must have been to her, to make her feel loved and nurtured and healed as to never warrant a call home as in the past. I could relate to this on so many levels, but especially because in the last year, I've communicated with my brother far less than any year's past. In part, this is my fault and a casualty of being too caught up with my work, my house, my toddler, and my own life in general. But in part this has been a fabulous thing - I think it means that he's truly happy, and that while he wants to connect with his sister, he, too, is caught up in his own life, and his own love, to commune as regularly with family.

All that said, I had a most wonderful time exploring Block Island with the Bean, enjoying the festivities leading up to the Big Day, and celebrating the love of Brian and Zahavah - and so many of their family and friends who were able to join. I wish them nothing but the best on the grand adventure that is marriage.

In the words of the Bean:
Me: What special party are we going to tomorrow?
Her: A wedding.
Me: Who is getting married?
Her: Uncle B and 'havah. Like mama and daddy!

Every so often Alex and I look at each other and ask if this is what we thought marriage would be like? He marvels at the 14-year-old boy in him that gets to look at a naked woman nearly daily, and I am more than pleased that I get to live with and hang out with my best friend all the time. So maybe it's not exactly what we thought "marriage" would be, but it's probably even better. I wish the same for Bri and Zahavah.


And what would a post about a wedding be without a plethora of pictures to better represent the event.

Getting ready ...

Francie had her pigtails professionally done.

Flower Girl perfection = Callie and Francie holding hands and giggling.

The ladies getting ready to head out the door to the beach. 


 The ceremony ...

The ceremony was at Crescent Beach, and Zahavah handmade these driftwood signs letting the guests (and the school bus that drove them all to the beach) know where to meet.

Ironically, both Brian and Zahavah have "love" nicknames - B-Love and Z-Love.

Bri and Alex built this altar from driftwood my brother had collected. Bri added the gourd as a symbol of my mom, as apparently it was something she had once given him.

Guests were requested to be barefoot, with a sign reminding them where to leave their shoes.

Father of the Groom and Groom.

Francie the Flower Girl.

Francie and Mama.

Bri hugging Zahavah's dad, John. They were married by their good BI friend, "Pastor Rob."

The ladies.

Francie and Callie immediately began playing in the sand at the altar behind Brian and Zahavah during the ceremony, which, to me, made the wedding that much more beach perfection.

The beautiful bride.

The boys - the dads flanking the outside, with Bri's BFF's Paul, Bryan, and Roscoe, as well as my handsome hubby, standing beside them. The facial hair was apparently part of the wedding party attire, much to my dismay.

Husband and Wife.

My sweet family. We totally rocked that bridal party business.



The reception ...

The Bean and her Daddy walking to the reception, which was held at the fine dining restaurant where my brother is head chef, the Manisses. The setting, the decor, and the weather was just right.

Ferry wings and champagne.

My cousin Tim, blowing bubbles for these winged flower girls.

Tim's wife, Lindsay, their son Charlie, and the ladies with bubbles.

First dance.

Swaying to The Lumineers.

What Alex proudly called "The Ultimate Bridal Cleavage Shot."

Daytime dance party.

In lieu of the mother-son dance, Bri asked me to be his dance partner.

I might have cried a little.

But we rocked it to this song, Don't Wait by Mapei.

My cousin Ted's (who was representing at another wedding) wife Laura, and their son Jake, with Francie and me checking out the Manisses animal farm.

Hartman love.

This gorgeous tree was the setting for the large round tables.

These lovebirds had their own throne.

Table decor and flowers.

Zahavah and her nieces.

Photo booth fun - Jo, Francie, Jake, and Laura.

The after-party bonfire ...

Bride and groom, explaining the luminaries.




Wishes for health, happiness, and decades of continuing love.


And the after-after-party ... oh wait, there aren't any pics because the Bean and I were in bed.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! Beautiful wedding as well as fabulous wedding photographs. You know, Even I am also very curious about my wedding and wedding reception day. Do you have any suggestions or tips for making my wedding day unique?

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design