SLIDER

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Mother's Day 2015


 
 
Last Mother's Day Alex inspired envy in all husbands who also didn't get shit-faced the night before the holiday and then somehow pull off an elaborate home-made scavenger hunt of sweet Bean notes (see last year's blog post here).
 
This year, I wasn't as set on having a special day, so he was off the hook a bit. On Saturday, the weather was AMAZING, and we spent the better part of it as a family puttering around the backyard we have come to adore. And I finally caught up on all my spray paint projects that have been on my list for a few years now. The dining room chairs are no longer a chipped brown, but now teal and light blue. I love the instant gratification of spray paint! On Sunday we were tentatively planning for a longer family bike ride, even considering the Vernonia-Banks trail, but when we woke up to overcast, we were less inspired. Alex promised me a "family on demand" day, meaning that I could hang out and cuddle my peeps when I felt like it, but also do my own thing as I wanted. It was perfect - all the benefits of a house and family, but no responsibilities. I slept in until 8:30, Alex made me a latte just the way I like it, and I snuggled and played with the Bean while entertaining fantasies of how I wanted to spend my day (Should I see a movie? I could read in bed. Maybe I'll finish some more spray paint craft. We could go shop for a new computer. Do I want to do a family activity? I definitely don't want to go grocery shopping. What about a nice walk?). I ultimately decided that I wanted to spend my morning with a visit to Mary S. Young State Park in West Linn - a visit to my mom's rock/bench, and a "flamily hike" for at least a little activity/exercise. The Bean donned her best killer whale dress, in honor of Mimi, and ran around the park where I also ran some thousands of miles in my youth. We then ate lunch at Einstein Bagels, per my request, despite the fact that their food sucks - and Alex even paid the $11 bill with his very own wallet money. I do love me some bagels and cream cheese. I took the rest of the day "off," puttering around with more spray paint projects (finishing my bedside table and some frames for our room), went to a gentle yoga class (like a massage you give yourself), and helped Alex with an interactive dinner of BLT salad rolls. I had thought I might rent an iTunes movie and binge-eat the Swedish fish Alex bought me while Alex played more with his new router, but instead we watched "Rabbit-Proof Fence" so he could show it in class this week. Aside from having a "family on demand day," the best present I received was that Alex went grocery shopping. I was totally off the hook for all things involving responsibility for the day. Ah, to be young again.
 






 
 
Mother's Day was a big hit on social media, everyone professing their undying love for their perfect mothers, or those relishing in the spoils of their own children. I was no different, proclaiming my adoration for this Bean on Instagram, confessing how she's filled a profound void in my heart and soul. But I was also pensive this year, thinking of the the people for whom Mother's Day sucks. Not everyone has/had a good mom. I mean, some people are shitty, and therefore some moms are shitty. Some people may never have even had a mom at all, whether related to a death, a split family, or a foster care experience. Other people maybe have experienced the tragedy of losing a kid. Others are maybe hoping to be moms, or have endured miscarriages or infertility issues. These sad facts don't undermine a great opportunity to honor our mamas, as we should, whether on the holiday or just any other day - but this year I was reminded that I'm a motherless mother, which is sad and sucks, but at least I'm a motherless mother with the very best daughter a mama could hope for.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design