SLIDER

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Getting Our Sh$t Together?

Is it too early to pat myself on the back for my new financial habits? I mean, I haven't bought anything since the beginning of the month. That's FOUR WHOLE DAYS! In my consumer world, that's a win. 

Alex and I are having our first foray with a nearly-maxed out credit card, and we are inspired (required?) to get our shit together and at least attempt to behave like grownups. 

My contribution so far has been listening to an audiobook, "Living Well, Spending Less," and reflecting on my own thoughts and feelings about money, shopping, and needs versus wants. Also, I wrote "more is never enough" on a notecard in my car. That's something, isn't it?!?

But seriously, I also put together a "family planner" binder with spreadsheets of all kinds to help us track our spending, pay off the credit card, set a reasonable monthly budget, and begin actually saving money. I don't have any real faith in the social security system for our generation, after all. And only a hair more faith in my plans to contribute to my Roth IRA regularly. 

We live in a consumer world, and I'm a product (victim?) of the advanced advertising and marketing skills of Amazon, Target, Apple, Costco, GAP, television, magazines and even blogs and Instagram. 

But my bulimic-style shopping doesn't actually bring me any joy. It's yet another symptom of mindlessness, avoidance, or distraction. Buying "stuff" doesn't even align with my goals or values. But I'm subject to believe that the 7/8 length heathered yoga pants at Athleta will bring me the peace about my body I desire. The woven baskets, chalkboard organizers, and color-coded files will be the final feather in my organizational hat, and at last I'll feel in control. That magic mop will make my house cleaner. The new mermaid puzzle will bring hours of entertainment for my daughter. The new work pants for Alex will fix those mornings he complains that nothing fits. That somehow all these things will "fix" the apparent "problems," when that's not the case. It's never the case.

So instead, this month, we are on a spending diet (a full-on spending freeze is too extreme for me, making me feel like "I can never have what I want."). We will purchase only the essentials, and have only $100 each in wallet money for the entirety of November. Although I still find myself perusing for new shoes online and habitually wanting a Dutch Bros iced mocha every morning, for the first time in awhile I feel a bit of confidence in my ability to reign.it.in. Just goes to show how motivating financial stress can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design