SLIDER

Monday, September 1, 2014

(Stuff Jo Made) - 5th "Wood" Wedding Anniversary Gifts

At risk of the over-share (maybe don't read any further, Dad?), I am proud (and somewhat embarrassed) to present the gift I gave the Hubby for our 5th wedding anniversary this weekend while we celebrated just the two of us on a vacay (the first solo since the Bean joined us) on San Juan Island (trip details to come). While the private part of me (a small part, I know) is reticent to share the deets, the part that keeps patting myself on the back is just so pleased with my creativity here. I mean, I was going to spend 100 bucks on some new wooden sunglasses from Shwood, a company our next door neighbor started. Or 500 bucks on some professional pics. But alas, I cheaped-out and went with romance, creativity, and a sprinkle of sexy. I individually wrapped five presents with corresponding cards, presenting them in one gift bag when we arrived at our hotel on our actual anniversary. I think I was more excited for him to open it than he was.




#1
After we were married in Lake Tahoe in 2009, I put together a little "wedding time capsule," and included a bottle of the wine we served at the reception (it was way sweeter than we remembered, practically like a cheap port) and a book All About Us that we completed together in the months after we were engaged. I asked the Hubby if he "would" share the wine with me and reminisce about our meeting, our wedding, and the answers we wrote in the book. He, obviously, was happy to comply.




#2
I researched a hike on the island, called "Young Hill" on the west side of the island, and invited Alex for a walk in the "woods" with me, like we've always enjoyed together. Truth is, the hike was only about 2+ miles and took us less than an hour, but I can't recall the last time we went on a hike together just the two of us. No whining to endure! We had beautiful vistas toward Canada, and pretended we could see orcas from atop the hill.



#3
My original plan, in honor of the "wood" anniversary, was to invest in taking professional Boudoir photos. I thoroughly investigated, and ultimately, didn't want to pay the $500+ charge, nor was I entirely comfortable baring most, if not all, with a complete stranger. Even is she's female. So in light of my gift of "wood," I offered the Hubby the opportunity to dust off his photography skills and have a shot at it himself. Turns out, he was pretty great at this provocative style, and used the lighting well to make me feel like a sexy celebrity. I had printed some examples of the style of Boudoir photos I liked to include in his card, and we also perused Pinterest together for some artistic inspiration. I'll share just two photos here - a headshot and a relatively modest pic of me in my red undies. I might have made him attempt to re-create the Burt Reynolds ala Cosmo, but will spare you here, and show just a headshot of my handsome hubby that I think might have to grace our Master bedroom walls. Here's hoping this "wood"en project got us pregnant ;)







#4
Alex has gotten more into working with wood in the last few years, so I bought him this great book by Ana White, one of my favorite bloggers, with "wood"working projects for the home. He's already made a couple of the projects in the book, like our entryway table, a step stool, and a recycling center, and I look forward to seeing what else he'll make, maybe a kid's adirondack chair, bunk beds, or a farm table.



#5
And lastly, to actually stick directly with the "wood" theme, I quickly pulled together a wooden frame with clothespins and photos of us "then" and "now," as in my blog post the other day.




Like I said, I was so pleased with my creativity and modest expense (not counting the actual vacation), that I was more than happy to be the primary gift giver (rather than receiver - the Hubs bought me a chocolate bar, Jujubes, and Pirate's Booty as an anni gift; then again, I certainly didn't marry him for his gift-giving). I love, love, love coming up with perfect presents, and because I love, love, love Alex, it was double the fun to celebrate our anniversary with these five gifts that we both got/get to enjoy.

17 comments:

  1. feng shui For some of us these sounds are company, to others they act as calming, meditational notes. Our handcrafted Australian made wind chimes are guaranteed to bring quality, harmony and serenity into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blog posted is very interesting from all aspects and it will surely benefit the readers by all means and I am looking forward to reading new articles. To get new information visit here
    Cheap Return Gifts For Wedding | Return Gifts For All Occasions

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a gorgeous gift! You have a lovely family! Congrats!

    http://theanniversary.co/collections/5th-anniversary-wood-gifts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I wanted to mention that this is another resource for greatfifth anniversary gifts. They really saved my bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly, this is an amazing share. I liked reading this post. Our parent’s 50th wedding anniversary is coming and we would love to host a surprise party for them. Both love parties so we will be booking one of the best rooftop party Venues in San Francisco for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful wedding anniversary gifts made from wooden. I like these all.

    send online anniversary gifts to India

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design