SLIDER

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Micro Mini

At 31, "micro mini" means something different than it did at 21.

A decade ago, "micro mini" referred to a kind of skirt - one that my husband accuses me of sporting at age 24 for my interview at the Sierra Sun/Tahoe World newspapers. I got the job, by the way. At 31, however, "micro mini" is the term used to describe my new car. MY NEW CAR!!!

This weekend Alex, Francie and I spent 5 long hours at the Mazda dealership to sign away $300 per month for the next 5 years. And now I am the proud new owner of a 2014 Mazda5, also known as a "micro minivan." The reason for this term is that the car is the size of a sedan/wagon, but has the inside structure of a van. It seats 4 in captain's chairs, and then has two additional jumpseats in the back. The exterior color is silver and the interior is black. There is ample cargo room for roadtrips. We got the sport model, which is the base, so it doesn't have anything fancy-pants like Bluetooth or a DVD player or anything else I generally consider obnoxious. And to me, this is about as fancy-pants as it gets - A NEW CAR!

After driving my 1991 Volvo for nearly 13 years, even a Dodge Neon or Geo Metro feels luxurious, if for nothing else than the CD player and USB connection. But my new car, the "3M" (Mazda micro mini), has automatic windows, a radio controller on the steering wheel, and KEYLESS ENTRY! Did you hear that? I can now unlock the doors (not that I ever locked them before) from the convenience of my pocket. No fishing for my keys while holding a wiggly toddler - all I have to do is push a button! And did I mention how many miles my new car has on it? Only 60. Of which 57 I've driven  myself. Contrastingly, the Volvo brags 229,999 miles. And the odometer stopped working more than 5 years ago.

Out of respect, I ought to sing the Volvo's praises. It was an amazing companion for me in college and throughout my 20s, it reliably (mostly) got me all over the country - to and from college at UPS; to and from Block Island, RI; to and from Telluride, CO; to and from Lake Tahoe; and many, many roadtrips, beer runs, and tow truck rides in between. I have many musical memories associated with that car, and will definitely miss my Led Zeppelin, OR, and Lake Tahoe stickers. But I'm on to a new chapter of my life, and while there's no risk of me posting those stick-family stickers on my car, I'm happy to drive something that wouldn't necessarily be described as "having character."

Alex and I did not come to the new car purchase conclusion easily. We've been debating not only the purchase of a car, but also the type of "needed" vehicle, for nearly a year. I've been raised in a home that boasts several used, busted cars, and have been taught (extensively) about the financial disadvantages that comes with driving a new car off the lot. But the mama in me wanted to leave behind the unreliable mechanics, head-bonking carseat entry, and reduced passenger space in favor of this. And I might have preemptively texted my dad to ward off any potentional comments post-purchase. And how did he respond? With nothing but love and support, of course. Daddy's Girl, anyone?!?

Me:
We have officially decided to get a new car. I know you disagree with the financial decision, and we thought long and hard and came to the difficult conclusion that we'd rather be consumers. Anyhow, we aren't relying on you to buy the Volvo, but it will soon me made available to you for purchase. And we will soon have a car with enough room to haul you around to all your old-man appointments, even when we have another kid. Which we also won't be able to afford :). Love ya and thanks for all your financial support, both fiscally and intellectually.

Him:
Exciting for new car. And happy to buy a nice Volvo anytime. And always happy to give counsel. Love ya.


So without further adieu, feast your eyes on the newest member of our family.



And if you are someone who cares about the car specs or about reviews (Dad), follow these links

 

2 comments:

  1. We are also toying with the "new family car" idea....hope this one works out well for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it Joanna! Welcome to the club girlfriend. It rocks. Jake and I constantly talk about how much we love ours. I can't imagine buying another kiddo car that doesn't have the "sliding side doors". So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design