SLIDER

Saturday, March 31, 2012

2 Week Check-Up


So big!

Francie had her first pediatrician visit yesterday. She's up above her fighting weight and seems to have grown two inches - now 6 lbs 8 oz and 20 inches long! She seems to be filling out just a bit, which means feeding is indeed going well. And no more counting dirty/wet diapers.

She got a clean bill of health and won't need to be seen again until she's two months. She was such a trooper and only cried when the phlebotomist poked her heel for the secondary newborn screen.

Francie has been a delight, so far. We've had only one bad night, before I understood "cluster feeding." Here I was, thinking that something was wrong with my milk supply, or something off with her latch. Extensive Googling and friendly advice schooled me in the natural inclinations of newborn babies. Since then, Francie goes down at about midnight, and wakes up every 2 or so hours, on average. When she's well-fed, she sleeps like a pro. And yes, she is indeed sleeping in our bed. Night feedings are strange, and feel a bit like sleepwalking. For example, last night around 4 a.m. I updated my Progressive car insurance plan. We are usually in bed from about midnight to 11 a.m. or so the next day. Francie usually feeds about 10 to 20 minutes, but likes to stay attached at the teet every evening for a few hours. That's my TV time - we just started a new show, Rescue Me. She's starting to be awake and alert longer each day. But the cutest thing about her is the noises - meeting, mewing, and growling. I wish I could bottle these sights, smells and sounds because I already feel like time is moving too fast and she's going to be heading off to college before I know it!


As for me and my body, everything is indeed feeling much better and nearly healed. I'm still not using TP to wipe, but it no longer hurts to pee. I'm still bleeding, but not enough to require the diaper-sized pads the hospital discharged me with. My undercarriage still aches, whether I sit on the couch all day or busybody around the house. So I'm maintaining a steady IV of ibuprofen, pending improved muscle and tissue pain. My nipples are no longer as sensitive, thanks to the very simple technique of brief hand expression before feeding. And while I am indeed tired, not so much so that I'm feeling run down. Plus, I can spend 12 hours per day in bed with my baby girl, if the spirit moves me. Overall, we are so grateful that things have gone smoothly so far, and love being mama and daddy to our adorable baby girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design