SLIDER

Friday, August 26, 2011

Spreading the News

Dear Readers (all 4 of you),

If you are checking out this blog for the first time, you were likely a recipient of the email Alex and I just sent to our family and some friends. I would like to remind you of a few things I included in the email:

1. I said this blog wasn't for the faint of heart. What I really meant was that if you previously thought I was the perfect, errorless angel that I always want you to think I am (this is for you grandparents, aunts, uncles, and in-laws), you might learn otherwise. If you want a rosy picture of the cheerful, optimistic, well-behaved lady, you might not want to read on. You've been warned ...

2. While we did indeed announce the pregnancy, and in a mass email no less, it still is a private matter, in that we aren't big fans of letting all our Facebook "friends" know about the increasing size of my boobs, my morning diarrhea, or the eventual dilation of my cervix. You know what I mean? This blog is reserved for the artful over-share; it means you only have to read about it if you make the trip to the website. We're pro-choice, after all. Also, we haven't had the opportunity to share our exciting news with our employers yet. So don't do that for us, please.

3. I wanted to spend a moment, on this soapbox of mine, contesting the idea that women should have to wait 13 weeks to tell. I feel like it's a bit anti-feminist that women are supposed to keep such exciting news secret. Society tells us we can't share the positive news, because of the risk of miscarriage, and then we would have to share the negative news. But shouldn't we?!? Don't we get more support and are better able to relate to other women if we share both the good and the bad?!? Just sayin'.

4. If you have made it this far in the post, the least you could do is go to the bottom of the main blog homepage and become a "follower." It helps remind me who might be reading, and to keep my audience in mind. So as not to say something I will likely later regret. Then again, my understanding of a blog is somewhere between a Dear Diary and a memoir. And I never have had the best filter.

5. Please remember that I am not working right now, so I have only vapid, self-centered things to write about. How I feel. My near-perfect marriage. My rambling thoughts on the state of the world. But I promise, should you become a loyal reader, that I will write more than just about my weight gain and swollen fingers. When I'm working again, and in the real world, I'll be able to complain about militant bosses, share crazy patient stories, or discuss the pros and cons of biking versus bus-riding for transit. Exciting stuff, I know.

Again, loyal readers, thank you for indulging in my public ramblings. Enjoy the details of my/our life, and the occasional accompanying photograph.

Best wishes,
Jo

2 comments:

  1. I show up as one of your 4 followers, right? I love seeing your posts show up on my "dashboard"...you inspire me to be a better blogger. I'm super good at writing awesomely witty and funny entries while I lay on the couch...not so good at the whole actually sitting at my computer to blog. Oh well. Love you and the little kidney bean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Jo and Alex!!!! I had been wondering if you'd gotten too busy with the dog to keep up with blogging, having not seen a post from you in a while... but here I am during my nightly "can't sleep because pregnancy is hard for me," and 11 new posts appeared in my google reader (because that's how I follow blogs- not on blogger), this being the top one. It will take me a while to catch up on the previous posts, but I look forward to reading them as I get a chance.

    In the meantime, I just wanted to say how delighted I am for you, Alex, and your families. I know my interactions with the two of you have been extremely limited, but it's clearly evident to me from reading the blog how much you love one another, and the baby who will be introduced into this family is a fortunate one, indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design