SLIDER

Monday, December 26, 2011

Just a Scare

Alex deserves the blue ribbon today. And I don't just mean a Pabst, but the real deal, a first place, all-star, supportive-husband-of-the-year award.


We had our first - I'm sure just a preview of many, many to come - parental scare. We spent the afternoon at Tahoe Forest Hospital in Truckee, en route to the Reno airport for my flight back home after the holidays.


In order to keep the TMI out of the picture, let's just say I was worried that I might have been leaking amniotic fluid, gross details aside. I texted Rachel, who calmed me a bit and recommended I call my 24-hour OB nursing hotline. When I did that, they scared the bajeezus out of me and told me to get to a doctor immediately. That's when I cried. Alex told his parents while I quickly packed my bags, just in case we would need to head straight to the airport to catch my flight. I left the house without saying thank you or goodbye.


Once at the medical center, I checked in to the ER,and they immediately whisked me away in a wheelchair up to "labor and delivery." So .... Alex and I haven't done any sort of hospital tour, taken a birthing class, or even skimmed beyond Week 20 in our pregnancy books. Needless to say, I was NOT ready to be in a 'delivery room.' They stripped me neked, strapped some machines to my belly beneath a tacky little tube top, and scoped me with an extra long Q-tip. That first test didn't work. Take 2 seemed to be a success. An hour or so later, the OB came to chat me up and explained that the amniotic fluid test came back negative, and she felt comfortable advising me to go ahead and catch my flight home.


And here I thought I was going to get a valid excuse to not have to hop on that airplane.


Needless to say, everything with both baby and mama seems to be a-okay, and it was, fortunately, just a scare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design