SLIDER

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mother's Day

It may have started as a Hallmark holiday, but I'm all for celebrating women, and specifically, mamas. (Speaking of Hallmark, my cousin Adam is a copywriter and did this year's Mother's Day commercial, "Tell me." You should YouTube it. And have a tissue nearby.)

We kicked off my first Mother's Day at brunch with the Fergs, who are in town from Indiana visiting Laura. Alex then took me to Cirque du Soleil while Carol, Laura and my dad watched Francie. It was our first time away from her for more than 15 minutes. It went surprisingly well (in that I didn't have a panic attack, or even worry too tremendously) and I only texted to check-up on her a half-dozen times. Turns out she took a bottle as soon as we left, then slept for nearly 4 hours! 

I even got to open multiple gifts to celebrate the day. Francie gave me a beautiful necklace - a topaz from my great aunt's old ring, and an aquamarine (Francie's birthstone), reset in a new pendant. And my dad recycled a former gift to my mother - a 1982 Halcyon Days Mother's Day box. 






All in all we had a fabulous day. But I think the most special part was reading the cards I received from Francie, Alex, my dad, and Rachel, and text messages and emails from fellow new mothers recognizing the efforts and expressing sincere gratitude for moms everywhere.

"Momma,
I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for pushing me out of your vagina. Thank you for loving me so much, I can feel it all the time. Thank you for feeding me whenever I am hungry, I know it's a big job but I really appreciate it. Thank you for putting up with Daddy, I love him and I love seeing you guys love on each other. Mostly, just thank you for being my mom. I think you're doing a pretty good job and I feel lucky to be your daughter.
Love, 
Francie"

"Jo,
You are a wonderful mother. I feel so lucky to be parenting with you. Watching you love on our little bear makes my heart happy. I can't tell you how fortunate I am that you walked though that door at the Tahoe World. My adoration, amazement, and love just keeps growing. I can't wait ... I can, but I am so excited to see our little bean grow into a wonderful person just like her mother. Thank you for this most epic adventure.
Alex"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design